- Jill Alpes (University of Amsterdam)
Bush a tout prix: Anglophone Cameroonians’ risky quest for mobility (co-promoter with Peter Geschiere). Defended in 2011.
- Apostolos Andrikopoulos (University of Amsterdam)
Kinship, Citizenship and Inequality: West African migrants struggling over scarce resources in the New Europe. (with Peter Geschiere, Thomas Hylland Eriksen, and Jan Willem Duyvendak). AAA 2015 Bennetta Jules-Rosette Graduate Student Essay Award by the Association for Africanist Anthropology (AFAA) for “The Process of Kinship in a Setting of Civic Inequality: West African Migrants Struggling Over Scarce Resources in Europe”.
- Jitse Schuurmans (University of Amsterdam)
Longing and Belonging: A Comparative Study of Seduction Communities in California and East Asia (with Jan Willem Duyvendak).
- Ayşen Üstübici (UvA/Koç Univervsity Istanbul)
The governance of international migration in Turkey and Morocco: irregular migrants’ access to rights (co-supervisor with Jan Rath and Ahmet Icduygu).
- Annelise Erismann (University of Lausanne, co-supervision with Grégoire Mallard, IHEID)
Tracing gender and postnational citizenship in the educational and professional recruitment of international students: From hyperdiverse US grad schools to European ‘global universities’
- Agnès Aubry (University of Lausanne, co-supervision with Olivier Fillieule)
Travailler (gratuitement) au sein d’associations caritatives et humanitaires :
Penser les usages politiques, associatifs et individuels du travail bénévole dans l’aide à autrui en Suisse romande
- Irina Antoschyuk / Ирина Антощук (European University at Saint Petersburg, University of Amsterdam, co-supervision with Olga Sezneva).
Russian computer scientists in the UK: Migration, career and diasporic collaboration networks.
Recently graduated master students (since 2015)
- Henry Chow (UvA), Differential experiences of flexible employment in the service economy of Amsterdam. (with Julie Mc Brien). ••• Thesis awarded ‘honorable mention’ from the ABU-AIAS 2017 thesis prize •••
- Hassan Ould Moctar (UvA), “The European Border Starts in Nouakchott”: Examining the effects of external imperatives on West African labour migration in Mauritania. (with Manolis Pratsinakis)
- Yannick Coenders (UvA), Inside the Chimney: An exploration of racial dynamics in the struggle over a Dutch tradition. (with Walter Nicholls)
- Fatiha El-Hajjari (UvA), Pious Citizenship: A case study on how Dutch, Muslim women in the Schilderswijk unite religious devotion with civic engagement. (with Jan Willem Duyvendak)
- Fiona Naismith (UvA), Beyond ‘Negative’ and ‘Positive’ Frames: Media Representations of ‘Refugees’, ‘Asylum Seekers’, ‘Migrants’ and ‘Immigrants’ (with Yannis Tzaninis)
- Laura Cleton (UvA), Policy Beyond Law: Persuasive Bureaucracies and return migration enforcement (with Sonja Fransen)
- Djoeke Ardon (UvA), “The Dutch Don’t Let Themselves Be Underpaid”: Border Work and Boundary Work at the Dutch Labour Inspectorate (with Jeroen Doomernik).